With the holiday season fast approaching, it's important to know how celebrations can lead to giving and receiving COVID-19. Whether you're hosting a gathering or attending one, keep the following tips in mind.
If you're considering hosting a gathering
When in doubt, go outside.
- If possible, try to host your event outdoors instead of indoors.
- If you can't have it outside, be sure to avoid crowded, fully enclosed, and poorly ventilated spaces.
- Make sure guests can maintain safe social distancing at all times. Arrange seating options to allow for this.
Have a small group of local guests
- Keep your guest list as small as possible to allow for social distancing and compliance with your state/local health and safety guidelines.
- Traveling increases the spread of COVID-19 and your risk of catching it. Be aware of the COVID-19 levels in your community and the areas where your guests are coming from.
Know the latest guidelines and stick to them
- Be sure that you and your guests are aware of the precautions in place to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
- Have attendees practice safe behaviors, like social distancing, hand washing, and mask wearing (before, during, and after the event.)
- Limit the number of people handling the food/utensils and provide single-use supplies when possible.
- Encourage all guests to avoid contact with people outside of their homes 14 days prior to the event.
If you're considering attending a celebration
Stay away from indoor events
- If you can't participate outdoors, avoid fully enclosed and poorly ventilated events.
- If the event will be crowded and have a large number of guests, do not attend the event.
Plan for safety ahead of time
- See if the event's host has safety precautions in place to promote safety.
- Be sure to have masks and hand sanitizer ready to bring with you.
- Follow safety guidelines and practice preventive measures. Especially 14 days before the event.
Be smart when you get there
- Wear a mask, wash your hands, and avoid touching your face/eyes.
- Avoid close contact with members outside of your household.
If you or your household members have COVID-19/its symptoms or been exposed within 14 days of the event, do not attend or host the celebration!
* The following recommendations are based on the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines.